Allegheny Cemetery lies on the western slope of the great Appalachian Plateau, one of the most ancient mountain systems in the world. During the last ice age, some 20,000 years ago, the Wisconsin glacier advanced to a point midway in Butler County. The ice is estimated to have been one mile in thickness. In its movement across what is now Canada, New York, Michigan and Ohio, the ice ground away granite shield rock and transported it in the glacier itself, leaving behind deposits, which explains why Allegheny Cemetery was able to quarry its own granite for use in building projects in its early history.
When Allegheny Cemetery was established as a non-profit, non-denominational charity on April 24, 1844, it was located on farmland about two miles up-river from the City of Pittsburgh. Today, these rolling acres still have a rural feel, but are centrally located in the City between the neighboring communities of Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Garfield and Stanton Heights.
Over the last 175 years, Allegheny Cemetery has been developed into dozens of sections and today includes lawn-plans for flush memorials, two reflection ponds and even a wooded hillside trail set aside exclusively for cremation burial. Over fifteen miles of paved roadways offer guests access to every section and there are two entranceways located at 4734 Butler Street as well as 4715 Penn Avenue for the convenience of our guests. While it is a full service cemetery and crematory with modern day facilities, Allegheny Cemetery remains true to its historic character with winding country roads, tree lined paths, wooded hillsides, sunlit valleys and plenty of space for quiet reflection.