Sharpsburg Founder Headstone Rededication

September 8 @ 2:00 pm

Loading Events

The Sharpsburg Historical Commission recently paid for the revitalization and cleaning of James Sharp’s headstone and memorial. They have organized a rededication ceremony to unveil the newly cleaned stone to the public and to honor the founder of Sharpsburg borough during their Bicentennial Celebrations happening later this month on September 19th.

This event will be held on the Allegheny Cemetery grounds – Section 28, Lot 6. Click here for cemetery maps.

“The Borough of Sharpsburg is a quiet, spirited community along the Allegheny River just over 5 miles outside of Downtown Pittsburgh. Sharpsburg has a rich history dating back to the 1700s when the Seneca Indians settled into the area. One Seneca in particular, Guyasuta, has a special connection to the community.

Guyasuta was a strong warrior and skilled hunter. He was chosen by George Washington to be a hunter guide with his party in 1753. When the two met again in Ohio 17 years later, General Washington greeted him with warmth and affection. In 1758, Guyasuta was involved in a bitter battle at Grant’s Hill, where the Allegheny County Courthouse stands today. In the early 1760s, Guyasuta sought after peace with the British Army. Guyasuta’ s peace efforts culminated into a peace treaty in which the government received a tract of land in what is now Western Pennsylvania. James O’Hara, who had purchased a portion of the river land, donated a small portion of it, where Sharpsburg is today, to Guyasuta.

In 1826, a man named James Sharp rode into this area and became enchanted by the beauty of the territory. He purchased 200 acres of the land and built a log cabin for his wife, envisioning it as the beginning of a town that would be rich in the values Sharp felt were important to the quality of life in a community. Opening the land to settlers, Sharp became invested in the town, building a school and church while continuing to donate his land for the growing needs of the community. On December 14, 1841, the borough applied for incorporation and received its charter March 14, 1842. Sharpsburg was born!

Since its incorporation, Sharpsburg became an industrial town, manufacturing iron, brick, and glass while goods were transported through the canal that bisected the borough, along with the Allegheny River. When railroads became the preferred mode of transportation for that time, Sharpsburg continued to thrive as thousands came for the plethora of job opportunities available.”

Historical details provided by sharpsburgborough.com

Go to Top