We are a place of serene beauty with a sacred obligation to keep this Cemetery a sanctuary for the people and families we serve. This is a cemetery that welcomes the public, but with the expectation that visitors will respect the hallowed grounds and those who have chosen Allegheny as their final resting place.
Please help us to preserve Allegheny Cemetery’s character and beauty by respectfully adhering to our visitor guidelines.
- Be respectful and considerate of other
- Unseemly, disrespectful behavior, loitering, or other conduct not in keeping with the due decorum of a cemetery is strictly prohibited.
- The maximum speed limit throughout the
Cemetery is 20 MPH.
- Parking on the grass is prohibited.
- Drugs, alcoholic beverages and illegal activities are prohibited.
- No firearms are permitted except in the case of military funerals or prior authorization.
- Keep the Cemetery clean.
- Trash receptables are provided throughout the grounds and littering or dumping is strictly prohibited.
- Management is not responsible for stolen or lost items.
- Follow all health and safety guidelines.
- Allegheny Cemetery is private property.
- Any person found on the grounds except during open gate hours will be considered a trespasser.
- All visitors must enter through the cemetery gate entrances located at either 4734 Butler Street or 4715 Penn Avenue.
- Proper attire should be worn when recreating on the property – shirts must be worn at all times and sunbathing is not permitted.
- Only approved recreationalists are bicyclers, runners and walkers. NO SKATEBOARDS OR SPORTS ALLOWED.
- Recreationalists should remain alert and aware of their surroundings to avoid areas conducting funeral services. Disrupting a service is strictly prohibited.
- Bicycle riders must stay on roadways.
- Organized gatherings and events of any size (including private tour buses) require advance arrangement and approval.
- Memorial Services must notify the Cemetery to be scheduled.
- Please contact the Administration Office for consideration and permit application.
- Only use picnic tables provided for events and picnics.
leave your pets at home.
- Dogs are not permitted within cemetery grounds except inside vehicles.
- Gravestones are fragile.
- For your safety and their preservation, please do not touch, climb or sit on them.
- Help care for our wildlife.
- Please do not climb on or hang from trees.
- All persons are prohibited from damaging trees, shrubs or plants; or defacing any monuments, buildings or other Cemetery property.
- Feeding the wildlife is prohibited; see details below and keep a safe distance.
- Signs, notices or advertisements of any
kind are not permitted on Cemetery property unless placed by management.
- Requests for posting signage should be directed to the Administration Office for consideration and approval.
- Feel free to photograph our landscape,
plants, and wildlife for your personal enjoyment.
- Please do not photograph any funerals or names on headstones/monuments.
- No gothic, horror, living dead or haunted themed photography or film projects are permitted.
- Donations are graciously suggested with every visit to support the beautification captured.
- Photography and filming for any non-personal use requires advance approval and permit with suggested donation.
- Wedding photography is restricted to certain areas of the Cemetery and requires advance permit with suggested donation.
- Bring only natural plant materials for
placement on graves within the Cemetery. Floral Tribute Regulations are
available at the administration office.
- In ground planting is not permitted in flush memorial sections.
- Decorations should be placed at the front of the marker and not extend more than 12 inches from the memorial.
- The Cemetery reserves the right to
remove any floral or memorial displays without notice when said displays are determined
by the Cemetery to be unsightly, decaying or infringe upon the good general
conditions within the grounds.
- Seasonal decorations will be removed 15 days after the holiday
- Flags placed on veterans’ graves are not permitted to be on display in a state or fashion that is not proper. Likewise, soiled, broken or otherwise damaged flags will be removed as dictated by the United States Code of Patriotic Customs.
- Lots are not permitted to be enclosed
with a hedge, wall, curbing, fence or any other structure.
- For the safety of maintenance equipment, loose decorative stones or gravel are not permitted to be placed at or around the base of monuments or markers.
- A lot owner shall have the right to
erect proper monuments and memorials on the lot, but the same shall follow the
regulations of each respective section of the Cemetery.
- Management shall have full discretion in all matters relating to size, character, design, and materials being used.
- Items that are not permitted on graves; balloons, pinwheels, blankets, bottles, flower hooks, glass, solar lights, and stuffed animals.
- All grave areas are cleaned twice per year and will have all décor removed and discarded. Notices will be posted a few weeks in advance, as a reminder, for the removal of items.
- No lot shall be used for any purpose other than as a place for the burial of human remains.
This is not a complete listing of all rules and regulations of Allegheny Cemetery. More information can be obtained by calling the Administration Office at 412-682-1624.
Enjoy ALLEGHENY CEMETERY and Have A Safe Visit!